Stretch marks also called striae is scarring to skin typically occurs when the skin seems to be stretched. This can occur under the following conditions:
- During pregnancy: stretch marks can appear on the abdomen and breasts
- During adolescents on boys and girls will undergo growth spurts: Boys may develop stretch marks on their lower backs, while girls on their breasts, buttocks and thighs. Stretch marks sometimes appear on the arms.
- Weight Gain: if an individual undergoes dramatic or substantial weight gain, striae may appear in the abdomen, arms and elsewhere on the body.
- Breast Augmentation: While not common, in some cases stretch marks may appear after breast augmentation.
- Bodybuilders / weightlifters: they can develop stretch marks and especially on their arms.
- Chronic diseases: Cushings’s syndrome, Marfan synderom and Ehlers-Danlos can be culprits as well.
Stretch marks pose no real health problems to individuals but can be viewed as unsightly and of aesthetic concern. In fact, statistics indicate that up to 90% of all women have some type of stretch marks. It has become part of the mommy makeover process. Removing or reducing the cosmetic appearance of stretch marks is possible with laser therapy.
The Palomar Lux1540 fractional laser is FDA approved as an effective tool for stretch mark removal and reduction. What makes the Lux1540 an attractive option as a treatment option for striae is that it is minimally invasive, so patients experience minimal to no discomfort during treatment. There is typically no downtime for patients. A clinical trial conducted by Dr. Larissa Kolesnikova, indicates success with the Lux1540. Other clinical trials confirm that the average improvement that can be expected is a reduction of between 50 to 75% in the appearance of stretch marks.
The Palomar Lux 1540 is a non-ablative fractional laser that sends microbeams to target trouble areas just under the skin’s surface. By heating the dermis, tissue coagulation begins and creates healthy new skin to replace and fill in the damaged skin or striae. The end result is smoother skin in a short period of time. Typically 3 – 6 sessions performed within 2 – 4 week intervals are required to realize improvement in the appearance of skin.
The Lux1540 handpiece works with the StarLux 300, StarLux 500 and Icon laser systems.